Friday, June 20, 2008

COLDPLAY - Viva La Vida or Death and All of His Friends


I wasn't even going to give this album a chance because I saw the beginning of the video for Violet Hill and I lost interest very quickly. And I also downloaded the song Death and All of his friends, listened to the first 20 seconds and also said: BORING! (I know I was being so unfair). I think I was in a bad mood when I saw the Violet Hill video because I had just seen the new New Kids on the Block video which left me upset/disturbed. But I gave the Violet Hill video another chance...and I really enjoyed Chris Martin hammering a hammer to the beat of the drums throughout the video (I love songs you can hammer along to). So I decided to give the album a chance.


Viva La Vida or Death and All of his Friends
is a pretty good album. The album has an obvious theme and does a good job emanating that theme. The songs Yes, Viva La Vida and Violet Hill are probably the strongest songs due to death lyrics, aggressive violin strumming and hammering drums. Though, this album definitely isn't as good as the other Coldplay albums. Really, I don't think they will ever live up to A Rush of Blood to the Head; that album was a once in a lifetime thing. And none of the songs on Viva La Vida or Death and All of his Friends have really emotionally connected with me. Even the songs that I think are the strongest songs, I don't really feel much but a little rock of the head.

But overall, what I learned from this album was: give Coldplay a chance. Yes, the album isn't as good as their previous albums but it is still a well-written album.

Video link:

Violet Hill (video)

REMIXES!!

Violet Hill (Cryptonites Remix)
Viva La Vida (Telemitry Remix)

No comments: