Saturday, October 24, 2009

Fresh Media and Fever Ray: All in one day

I know I've already posted an entry about this remix but I really feel like my day had a connection to this song.

So I thought I was supposed to be live blogging today at the Fresh Media Festival but it turned out, I was talking about my blog to future bloggers who wanted to learn more about the subject. This was good. I got to learn about other (more successful) bloggers and learn more about what people want.

Earlier in the day, ION magazine supplied the event with free magazines (these went really fast). On the cover of their issue this month is Fever Ray, aka Karin Dreijer Andersson. I don't know what it is but lately, this woman has got a hold on me. I'm intrigued with everything she does and all the music she creates. I quickly grabbed a magazine so I could read the article inside. To my dismay, there was no real article of Fever Ray inside. It was mainly a cover photo shoot with a small description of her on the same page as the Editorial Staff page. I was disappointed but still impressed that the magazine flew out to Gothenburg, Sweden to take this photo shoot.

So Fever Ray was one of the things on my mind from the start of the day. For the rest of the day, I was observing the people coming in, listening to what they had to say about fresh media/new media/old media, and soaking up everything I could. I took advice, gave advice and above all, learned many things.

At the end of the day, the Fuck Buttons remix of Fever Ray's "If I Had a Heart" popped into my head as I was walking in the downtown area of Vancouver. This song/remix always reminds me of how I feel about Vancouver.

This will never end 'cuz I want more. More, gimme more, gimme more...

These lyrics are repeated throughout this remix with a drum pounding hard in the foreground. Creepy noises accompany the pounding and it adds to the whole notion of searching for something you know isn't lurking far beyond that corner up ahead.

The lyrics and the overall atmosphere of the song always pop into my head when I'm thinking of good ol' Vancouver. And it especially popped into my head after this event because I feel like everyone kind of feels this way about Vancouver. Correct me if I'm wrong but we're all kind of searching for that something-something here. I'm sure this happens in every city but I feel like Vancouver is still evolving so it seems a little more obvious here. Vancouver is still new, fresh and its reputation is still developing. This remix/entry/day focuses on the lyrics posted above; people aren't going to give up on Vancouver ever, it's going to keep developing and its people will want more and will create more as time goes on. Just look at the event that occurred today.

I know I don't usually express my deep and heavy thoughts on my blog but I felt like this remix/song really had a connection to my day (even more so than other songs have in the past). Perhaps it isn't the original intention of the song, or the remix for that matter, but this remix has inspired me to interpret the song differently.

So let's keep getting more...

Fever Ray - If I Had a Heart (Fuck Buttons remix)


Fever Ray - If I Had a Heart

No comments: