Thursday, July 10, 2008

Polaris Music Prize Finalists

The Polaris Music Prize is a $20,000 reward to the best Canadian album of the year (disregarding record sales). The jury consists of 178 people who are either journalists, broadcasters, programmers or bloggers (how I wish I was on that jury). They started with a long list of 40 artists and have narrowed it down to 10 finalists. The finalists seem to mainly come from the East but there is one band from Vancouver (Black Mountain) and one from Winnipeg (The Weakerthans). I have comprised an ordered list of who I think is the worthiest.

1. Plants and Animals - Parc Avenue (Montréal, QC)
2. Basia Bulat - Oh, My Darling (London, ON)
3. Stars - In Our Bedroom after the War (Montréal, QC)
4. Caribou - Andorra (Dundas, ON)
5. Kathleen Edwards - Asking for Flowers (Ottawa, ON)
6. Black Mountain - In the Future (Vancouver, BC)
7. Shad - The Old Prince (London, ON) <-- This is hip-hop (omg)
8. Holy Fuck - LP (Toronto, ON)
9. The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour (Winnipeg, MB)
10. Two Hours of Traffic - Little Jabs (Charlottetown, PEI)

Ok, so Plants and Animals win it in my books.

But you should check out these artists. I've posted a song from each of the top five albums I've chosen

Plants and Animals - Bye Bye Bye
Basia Bulat - Snakes and Ladders
Stars - Take me to the riot
Caribou - Melody Day
Kathleen Edwards - Buffalo

No comments: