Sunday, September 27, 2009

Remix: "creating something fresh out of something stale"

I really do enjoy other people's definitions of the word, remix. In the documentary film, RiP: A Remix Manifesto, there is a sound clip that describes a remix/mash-up as: "creating something fresh out of something stale." I don't necessarily agree with this entirely because I think some remixes are improving, and/or interpreting, sources of media that are already excellent. Though, this sound clip does apply to a remix I've recently gotten in to.

Steve Aoki did an unbelievably amazing remix of...Good Charlotte's "Misery"; don't judge until you listen. It's pretty hard to ignore the emo lyrics (no offense to Good Charlotte lovers) but the beat and the completely new genre structure of the song make it so enjoyable to listen to, and dance to. I have a new found respect for Aoki.

Good Charlotte - Misery (Steve Aoki Remix)

No comments: