Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Monsieur Tellier à Vancouver

Last night, two-thirds of the Brooklyn band, Chairlift, opened up for Sébastien Tellier. Unfortunately, their guitarist got held up at the border. So the band compensated by splitting their set in half with covers and original stuff. They played Chris Isaack's "Wicked Game", Snoop Dogg's "Sensual Seduction" (which was fairly well-done in my opinion) and other great hits. Considering they were missing a band member, Chairlift did a good job making up for it and keeping the crowd somewhat entertained before Sébastien Tellier came on.

Mr. Tellier started his set with "Kilometer", which got some people moving. Not many people in the crowd were grooving to the music. Everyone was just watching him. Maybe it's his successfully marketed image or his unique persona that captivates people and puts them in a state of awe. Though, I was kind of surprised at the lack of people that were there. I thought this show would've been sold out but it really didn't look like it was. Apparently, his fan base needs to grow a little more in Vancouver.

Throughout the concert, Sébastien Tellier was drinking a bottle of white wine to himself. He spoke in between songs about...I don't really know what. His accent was either too strong or I just couldn't hear very well. By the end of the show, he was lying on his keyboard and after the encore he was standing on it. I also think it's important to mention the dry guitar humping that took place.

Most of the songs he performed were from the latest album, Sexuality. But of course, he played his most popular song, "La Ritournelle", which I've been listening to on repeat the whole morning. "L'amour et la violence" and "Sexual Sportswear" were probably my two favourite songs that were performed. I also really liked how the originally four minute song, "Une Heure", was stretched out to a ten minute song.

I would say the entirety of this concert was very good. I thoroughly enjoyed every song that was played and his eccentric characteristics that attributed each song. However, I was a little nervous at how intoxicated he seemed to be. I thought maybe he wouldn't be able to perform as well but thankfully, I was wrong.

Sébastien Tellier - La Ritournelle (Radio Version)

No comments: