Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Tonight: Franz Ferdinand

I read a music blog a couple of weeks ago called Not Many Experts that inevitably influenced my decision to check out the new Franz Ferdinand album, Tonight: Franz Ferdinand. This blog talked about how Animal Collective's new album, Merriweather Post Pavilion, is all over the internet (mostly other music blogs) and these blogs are claiming that this album is probably going to be the best album of the year (people need to calm down, the year just started). I've somewhat listened to Merriweather Post Pavilion; it seems pretty good but a little too slow for my liking at the moment. I feel like I have to be in the mood for that album while Tonight: Franz Ferdinand is right up my alley everyday (similar to what the people at Not Many Experts think).

When I think Franz Ferdinand, I think dance rock. And that is one thing I can count on them for; they're so reliable, I love it. I heard "Ulysses" in November and was definitely feeling it then. But I forgot about the new album (don't know how that happened, sometimes my brain doesn't work very well) until I read Not Many Experts and checked out "Bite Hard" which soon got me into the rest of the album. Certain songs like "Live Alone", "Can't Stop Feeling" and "No You Girls" stood out to me. So far, "Can't Stop Feeling" seems to be my favourite; it is a good example of how the band is able to electronify their music while still keeping it in the genre of rock (side note: electronify isn't a word but it works so well in this case).

Every song on this album gets me moving/swaying (even the slower ones at the end like "Dream Again" and "Katherine Kiss Me"). Which reminds me, "Katherine Kiss Me" seems to be a slower second part/rendition of "No You Girls" and with reference to my blog post prior to this one, I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Tonight: Franz Ferdinand needs to be in your possession. It will make you want every night, not just tonight, to be: Franz Ferdinand.

Franz Ferdinand - Ulysses

No comments: